Flood Safety Precautions
With floods regularly threatening various areas across Canada, Superior Propane is committed to informing you of the precautions that you should take to ensure that your propane operations continue safely. For timely flood watch updates, visit your provincial website – links are located in the right column for your convenience.
Before a Flood
- Locate all propane equipment and turn off the propane supply. If you have a meter, give the valve a quarter turn in either direction so that the lever is crosswise to the pipe. With a tank or cylinder, turn the hand wheel clockwise (to the right) as far as possible. With a propane appliance, close the shutoff valve. If you can’t find the valve or if you need any assistance, please call Superior Propane at 1-87SUPERIOR (1-877-873-7467).
- Securely attach all tanks and cylinders to stationary objects with cable, rope or chain.
For your safety, the valves must remain closed until the system and appliances have been checked by a qualified Superior Propane service technician. We will turn it back on for you.
After a Flood
- Check for a rotten egg odour or other evidence of a propane leak or damage. If a leak or damage of any kind is suspected, extinguish all smoking materials and open flames and exit the building immediately. Do not touch electrical switches, light matches or other sources of ignition (including phones and cell phones).
- If you haven’t already done so, and if you have a service valve or meter located outside, turn it off.
- Call Superior Propane and the fire department from a neighbour’s phone.
- Do not go back into the building until it has been inspected. Do not turn the gas back on – leave it to the experts.
If your equipment has been flooded, please call us. Flooding may cause water damage to regulators and controls. Flowing debris may have dented the container or piping. We will inspect your equipment to determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
Following these recommendations – and calling Superior Propane with any questions – will help ensure the continued safe operation of your propane equipment.